The Gael Online

Shelton Joins Unified Champion Banner Schools

Shelton High school has been selected as an Unified Champion Banner school. This is an award sponsored by Special Olympics International, with a main purpose to provide students with equal opportunities. Kids with disabilities don’t often get
the chance to play in their
school teams. This is why
more and more schools
are adopting the Unified
Sports approach. For more
than 30 years, the Special
Olympics has worked
extremely hard to offer
people with intellectual
disabilities the opportunity
to play on sports teams.

It was made a mission in Shelton High

school to adopt the same
policy as the Special
Olympics. The staff and students did everything possible to make sure everyone received these same opportunities. “It is a tribute to Mr.
Niski, our unified coaches, Mrs. Devonshuk, Mr. Gambardella, and our students athletes for making this possible in Shelton High school,” says Dr. Beth Smith. The ability to include everyone no matter the disability, has proven to reduce bullying, exclusion, advocates healthy

interactions and combats stereotypes in a fun way. This is what Shelton High school strives to do with all of their student body. Dr. Beth Smith says, “Great things happen when our school community is all inclusive and focuses

on providing all of our student athletes with the opportunity to perform at their best”.

Shelton continues to activate young people by giving them the tools, skills, dispositions and opportunities to build change. Through Unified Sports, Inclusive Youth Leadership and whole school engagement made this possible. Shelton has joined more than 4,300 middle and high schools in the United States as a Unified Champion banner school. The induction

for Shelton High school was held on Friday, December 9th 2016.

The Student News Site Of Shelton High School