The Gael Online

7 Must-See Movies During the Holiday Season

taken from google images

Greg Corsale, Staff Writer

polar_express

Polar Express: First released in 2004, this animated masterpiece features the voices of movie stars such as Tom Hanks and was directed by Robert Zemeckis tells the story of a boy that does not believe in Santa, but has his whole world turned upside down when he hitches a ride to the North Pole along the Polar Express, meeting the man he doubted face-to-face. The man in red gives the boy a bell of the muzzle of one of his reindeer, which will ring for only those who believe in Santa Claus. Once returning home, the boy rings the magical bell and to his disappointment, only him and his little sister are able to hear the beautiful sound of the bell, since they are still young enough to believe in the magic of Santa Claus.

Home Alone: In this comedy from 1990, a young boy by the name of Kevin McCallister is forgotten at home by his family who went on vacation for Christmas. Depressed and lonely, he  decides to make the best of the situation by decorating his home and even goes as far as putting up the Christmas tree. However, the boy is constantly pursued by two burglars that constantly fall victim to the boy’s tricks and traps, and feel extremely defeated that they can not break into the McCallister’s luxurious home because it is protected by defensive Kevin. The countless acts performed by him in defense of the idiotic robbers leave anyone who watches this timeless classic.

a-christmas-story-movie-poster-1983-1020423184

A Christmas Story: This Christmas tale which is set in 1940s America tells the tale of nine year old Ralphie Parker who yearns for a Red Ryder BB gun that comes complete with a sundial on the stock. When taken by his mother to the mall to ask Santa for his desired gift, he is told by both the man playing Santa and his mother. But the movie is not only focused on Ralphie’s quest for his BB gun. The film includes many other side stories, such as his father winning a lamp that looks like a lamp and Ralphie and his friends Flick and Schwartz overcome the neighborhood bullies, with Ralphie going as far as punching one of them square in the face.

how-the-grinch-stole-christmas-movie-poster-1966-1020462818

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966): While many people are familiar with the Jim Carey 2000 live-action film, the original 1966 version which implements the voice acting of horror legend Boris Karloff, tells the tale of an unfriendly member of Whoville (the town the story is set in), named the Grinch who has hated Christmas every since childhood. When he decides to crash everyone’s holiday by stealing all their gifts and decorations. An encounter with a little girl while stripping her home changes the Grinch’s aspect of Christmas, and he returns everything he had stolen and begins to celebrate the holiday with the other citizens of Whoville.

elf-movie-poster

Elf: This hilarious comedy which stars Will Ferrell, tells the tale of Buddy, a man who believes he is an elf when he is indeed a human that works among elves at Santa’s workshop in the North Pole. Once realizing he is human and that his biological father (whose name is Walter) is on the naughty list for being greedy, Buddy travels to New York City, where Walter works at children’s publishing company. Walter almost immediately rejects Buddy, and makes his son feel lonely and hated. He tirelessly tries to make his father accept him and become a better man in the future. Eventually, Buddy’s father Walter accepts his son and welcomes him into his home. Buddy comes to accept his life as a human elf and settles down with the love of his life Jovie, whom he met while working at a mall during the Christmas season.

christmas-vacation-movie-poster

National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation: Like in other National Lampoon movies, this film stars the always dysfunctional Griswold family while they attempt to have a traditional and extended family Christmas. As usual, everything that go wrong happens, with Walt Griswold being able to hang up Christmas lights and family dinner going completely wrong, with the Christmas tree catching on fire and estranged cousin Eddy is sent flying into the house after igniting chemical waste that he tried to dump down the sewer with a cigar lighter. In the end, the family comes to terms with each other and finish celebrating their Griswold family Christmas.

MOV_ea8a2b27_b

Rudolph: This classic Christmas tale from 1964 tells the story of a small reindeer that is famous for his bright red nose, which sets him apart from all the other reindeer in his town. Even though his parents, notably his father, Donner, discourage his nose and try to conceal it, Rudolph cherishes and loves it. When sent to reindeer school a mere year later, Rudolph’s nose is concealed with a dirt cover, which soon falls off and is used as a means of bullying Rudolph with. After school, he drifts from town and yet again mocked for his bright red nose. After committing good deeds and helping other characters in the film, Santa grants Rudolph’s wish and allows him to lead the reindeer with his nose and deliver Christmas presents to all the good boys and girls.

• 7 Must-See Movies During the Holiday Season

After the Bell

2016 Oscars Winners

Archive

The 20th Anniversary of Pokémon

Archive

TEAM Inc.

Archive

One Year From Now: A Snapshot

Archive

AMA’S 2015 Winners

Archive

Syrian Refugee Crisis

Archive

Primetime Emmy Awards 2015: Full List of Winners

Archive

A Taste Of Italy

Archive

World Language Honors Society Induction

News

AP World Debuts

The Student News Site Of Shelton High School